About Us > Katipatch Catchup > Issue 14
Katipatch Catchup Issue 14 - 20th February 2007
We are underway with our classes for the year, and it’s great to see more people taking up patchwork as a new interest. We are always fascinated to hear why people want to learn this skill. Often it’s because they sewed clothes for their children and want to have something to create now that they no longer have to do that. Or maybe they remember a family member making quilts in the past, or maybe it’s just those creative juices flowing! Whatever the reason, it’s rewarding to be able to extend our family of patchworkers and quilters. So, welcome to new readers of our Catchup. For the complete list of classes and pictures of the projects, please visit our website www.katipatch.co.nz
We now stock appliqué matting in large and small sizes. Large is 40cm x 34 cm at $24.80 and small is 21cm x 30cm at $14.80. If you require a size different to this, please talk to us. We should be able to help. As well, we are now stocking Birch products; if there is something in particular you would like, just ask.
The Huskystar C20 normally $949 is on special for February at $799. This machine has the alphabet as well as the patchworking features on the C10. An excellent little machine for carrying to classes.
We have new in the shop McKenna Ryan’s Silent Inspirations ombre fabrics with colour graduation across the width of the fabric. These are fascinating to use in a quilt as you can bring into play whichever shade of the colour pleases you.
Following are the classes coming up in the near future. Please call us on 549 5900 or reply by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to register.
- Cheeky Chookswith Philippa Morris of Whiskers & Wings Patterns ( Australia). One day workshop Thursday 27 th Feb. We are thrilled to have Philippa teaching her chooks for us. They are birds with attitude and you could certainly give them your own very special “look”. $70 includes lunch. There are still a couple of spaces left – get in quick!
- Carol’s Kete One day workshop Thursday 15 th March. This woven bag, styled on the Pacific Islands kete, always attracts a lot of attention in the shop. See attached photo. $45 includes lunch.
- Mystery Sleepover Sat/Sun 31Mar/1Apr $300 includes all accommodation, food and fabric. Our mystery quilt days have been so popular we have decided to go the extra step and make the venue a mystery too! You tell us your colour choices and we select and cut the fabrics for you. Places are definitely limited and there is only one spot left, so if you want to join the fun, let us know ASAP.
- Dyeing with Judi Wine. One day workshop Thursday 12 th April. Judi is an expert in this field and during this fun day will teach you how to crackle dye, gradation dye, four season dyeing and surface dyeing for getting the exact colour you need for your latest quilt. $50 includes lunch.
- Finishing Touch – Binding your Quilts with Meryl Caudwell. One day workshop Thursday 26 th April. This class filled very quickly when we ran it last year. Meryl is an experienced tutor, including teaching at Symposium. You will learn various ways to bind your masterpieces including French Binding, Mitred, Straight corners, Curved,
Scalloped, Prairie Points and several variations of these. $65 includes lunch.
- Fishes with Mary Transom. Two day workshop Sat/Sun 28 th/29 th April. Mary is another Symposium tutor, and her classes are always popular. You will create your own underwater scene with Mary’s expert guidance. $110 includes lunch both days.
- Bordering on the Comical with Natalie Murdoch . Two day workshop Tues/Wed 8 th/9 th May. Yet another tutor from this year’s Symposium, you will have lots of laughs with Natalie, using your scraps to make a quilt of your own choice. See attached photos. $110 includes lunch both days.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Carol & Cindy